Monday, July 6, 2009

Gas money, please? … I don’t think so!

Let me introduce to you two of my most recent favorite people.

First, a lovely man that my parents, Trev, and I met at Market Street Grill a couple weeks ago. He was from Smithsville and had run out of gas on the freeway. The second man Trev and I met on Saturday at South Town Mall who…you guessed it…had also ran out of gas on freeway. They were both looking for some “gas donations”.

Hmm…I smell something fishy.

After celebrating Trevor’s birthday at Market Street Grill “Gas Man #1” approached us asking for $15 for gas money. I am the type of person that is convinced that everybody in the world is honest and genuine so naturally I gave him a few dollars (all the cash I had). I then tracked down my parents to give him some money. My mom gave him a few dollars and then asked how much he needed. He replied, “15 dollars”.

This is where things get sketchy…”Gas Man #1” then took the 20 dollar bill my father gave him AND kept the seven one dollar bills we had already given him making the grand total for his “gas money” $27.

Saturday night rolls around. Trev and I had just picked up our friends from the South Town Mall parking lot when “Gas Man #2” flagged us down. Surprise! He told the exact same tragic story of running out of gas on the freeway however, this time instead of being from Smithsville he worked at the University. I wasn’t going to be fooled this time and was actually quite rude to the man. Trevor on the other hand, got suckered in. Trying to land a job at a hospital Trevor said we would give him a couple bucks if he gave us his email address to contact him for a job. We made the exchange. I nagged Trevor all night telling him the guy was a fake but Trevor said that he was sure the guy was being genuine.

Fast-forward 5 hours later (same night). In the process of dropping our friends off at their car guess who popped his head in from around the bushes…”Gas Man #2”! Believe it or not, he started going off on his sob story that he had told us just 5 hours earlier. What an IDIOT!!! I got a kick out of it but Trevor was ticked.

Trev: “We just gave you money 5 hours ago.”
Gas Man #2: “Oh…yeah…that’s right…Well, I need to buy a gas can.”
Trev: “Right, thanks for being an honest person.”

Classic

Needless to say, we wont be donating any “gas money” in the near future.

2 comments:

Heidi Madsen said...

Lame, sorry about your money.
By the way, we are moving back to logan in August, we really have got to get together before we go back. Call me!

Rachel Angela Clark said...

love it. nat, you're so trusting, and apparently so is trevor. you two crack me up.