Thursday, July 23, 2009

Do or Die...

Last weekend my family went on a memorable river rafting trip on the Colorado River.

We spent the night in a tiny town called Green River in eastern Utah...never heard of it? Don't worry neither had I. We were oh so lucky enough to stay in the best hotel in town! Now, don't get jealous when I show you these pictures...
We guesstimated the hotel was built in the 1960s and I don't think Trev and my room had been cleaned since then.

My mom has always been super picky about the quality of hotels we stay in so of course I had to get some candid shots of her in this top of the line hotel.

The following morning we woke up bright and early and drove about an hour to the Colorado River where we unloaded our group’s 12 rafts.

The riders in my raft included my two little sisters, Jessica and Leslie, my hubby and my brother, Curtis, as commander and chief.

We had a nice quiet float and swim down the river and then stopped and had lunch on the side of the river.

After lunch...the float was anything but nice and quiet! Little did I know my favorite phrase for the next hour or two would be “Oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please” while clenching desperately to the raft.

Just about every single rapid left either me or Trevor flinging from one side of raft to the other. I have the nasty bruises to prove it. There were a couple of times where I thought either Trevor or I was a goner but then at the last minute one of us would be thrown on top of the other pinning us in the boat.

On one of the rapids we got sucked in and headed straight for the rock. We went up...and over the rock...and...for some thank goodness reason we didn’t flip. I remember looking at Trevor laying on the bottom of the boat after almost being tossed out and thinking we were doomed.

All of the rapids seemed to be this intense...at least for me and Trev...just about every single rapid we thought we were done for.

There was even a moment were I thought our heads were going to be taken off. We were in between rapids and headed straight for the rock wall...usually not a problem except for we were headed for this overhanging part of the rock. The boat was turned side-ways so Trevor and I were the only ones that were going to get knocked out if the raft went under it. Luckly Trev and I were quick on our matrix skills and slide down to the bottom of the raft and watched as the rock passed above us.

WE HAD A GREAT TIME!!!

Thanks big bro for getting us through those rapids with the a faulty raft!

(My mom is getting the pictures from our water-proof cameras developed. As soon as I get the pictures from her I will post them.)

2 comments:

Chelsee said...

Um...I actually know someone who lives in Green River. Weird.

Tony Wooden said...

Ugh... Just thinking of some of those moments still makes my stomach turn...